She made it through the wilderness
30 years ago today, Madonna released her sophomore album — Like A Virgin — and became an overnight pop music and pop culture sensation. Madonna‘s self-titled debut album, released in 1983, introduced the young pop star to the world but it wasn’t until Like A Virgin came out that the world really began to sit up and take notice. Like A Prayer, the album she released in 1989, is widely viewed as Madonna‘s quintessential album and I can’t say that I disagree but for me, as a child of the ’80s who vividly remembers the impact that Virgin had on pop culture, Like A Virgin will forever be THE Madonna album of all Madonna album’s for me. Today it turns 30. Wow. More »
Zac is Happy, New 1D Song, Nick ready to Date?
- • Online vintage shopping is fun [Buzzfeed]
- • The CMAs went glam [PopSugar]
- • Channing Tatum in a Tarantino movie? [LaineyGossip]
- • The new Hobbit movie releases a trailer [Celebuzz]
- • Zac Efron is happy with his lady [Socialite Life]
- • Nick Jonas remixed & live for 106 and Park [MuuMuse]
- • Nick & Knight talk to Idolator [Idolator]
- • Surprise! One Direction dropped a new song [GossipCop]
- • Is this why everyone loves Starbucks? [Towleroad]
- • Romeo Beckham stars in the Burberry holiday promo video [Oh La La]
- • Lessons learned by Jake Gyllenhaal from starring in Brokeback Mountain [Queerty]
- • The drummer for AC/DC has been charged with murder [Ranker]
- • Cake looks good [Kenneth in the 212]
- • The US Postal Service will deliver on Sundays this holiday season [Newser]
- • Is Nick Cannon ready to date? [Starpulse]
- • Annie releases a new trailer [Global Grind]
- • Emma Stone is 26, Taryn Manning is 36, Rebecca Romijn is 42, Ethan Hawke is 44, Lori Singer (Fame, Footloose) is 57 and Sally Field is 68 years old. Click HERE to see who else is celebrating a birthday today.
The intensity of Jelena
Ugh. Songs like this are so bad for the kiddies! The Heart Wants What it Wants has long been one of the top excuses for staying bad relationships and making bad decisions (very much akin to “You can’t help who you love”—another phrase I dislike). But okay, relationship politics aside, this is a nice song. And also, pretty sad, because it seems pretty obvious (especially in that opening recording) that Selena Gomez is singing/talking/crying about her relationship with Justin Bieber. Peep the video and tell me what you think—is this an ode to Jelena or what?
The highest first week-selling album since 2002
Taylor Swift‘s new album 1989, which sold 1.287 million copies in its first week of release, has become the highest first week-selling album since 2002 when Eminem released The Eminem Show and sold 1.322 million copies in its second week of release (she came very close to breaking Britney Spears‘s record as the female artist who sold the most first week albums ever — Britney sold 1.319 million copies of Oops! I Did It Again in its first week of release back in 2000). Of the past 4 albums that have sold over 1 million copies in the first week of release, 3 of those albums came from Taylor Swift — Speak Now (1.047 million), Red (1.208 million) and now 1989. Without question, Taylor Swift has proven to be a force to be reckoned with as she asserts her chart dominance with this latest feat. Congratulations are most assuredly in order for her. More »
Posted under: '1989', Taylor Swift
WTF is going on?
This story is making my head hurt. Okay, the last we heard about Lena Dunham’s memoir Not The Kind of Girl, the writer/actress/ had sparked a debate (one among many) about what defines rape. Now Dunham is responding to accusations from conservative media that she molested her younger sister, Grace Dunham. Based on passages from the memoir, some reporters (and now many people who are taking to Twitter) are making the argument that Dunham basically confessed to a sex crime. Click inside for more.
'Cause I'm not sure how this will work...
Back in 2011 Bradley Cooper and Robert De Niro starred alongside each other in a thriller that, if I remember correctly, was kinda cool. Now earlier this year, we saw that a really dope movie can translate into a really good TV show, with FX‘s Fargo. Perhaps the same will be true for Limitless? I’m not sure, but we dp have a few deets about the project. Click inside for more!
Posted under: 'Limitless'
Coming in early 2015
Miley Cyrus has just been revealed as the next celebrity spokesmodel for the MAC Cosmetics Viva Glam campaign (which, as you may know, is a line of cosmetics that raises money for and awareness of AIDS research), taking over from current celebrity spokesmodel Rihanna. Miley posted the first promo photo from her upcoming Viva Glam ad campaign on her official Twitter profile and revealed that the company will be releasing her own lipstick as well. Click below to get your first look at Miley as the new face of Viva Glam. More »
Starring the villainous Dolores Umbridge
Last summer, author JK Rowling released two new Harry Potter stories on her official website Pottermore (HERE and HERE) and today we learn that she will release another new story on Hallowe’en next week. This new story will center on the absolutely evil character Dolores Umbridge and will, no doubt, be deliciously fun. Umbridge, as you may know, is the sweet-looking, yet entirely sinister villain of the fifth Harry Potter book Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix … and next week, she will get a story of her own. More »
Back in August we learned that the late actor Robin Williams will be featured in the upcoming sequel film Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb and today we get to see Robin featured prominently on the just-released new poster for the movie. Robin, as you may know, plays the role of Teddy Roosevelt in all of the Night at the Museum movies and finished work on this third and final film before his death this summer. Click below to see Robin alongside lead actor Ben Stiller in this new Museum poster. More »
Joe Plays Shirtless Football, Michelle Returns, Naomi Misspells
- • Inappropriate toys [Buzzfeed]
- • Celebs who dressed like celebs for Hallowe’en [PopSugar]
- • But Colin Farrell looks great on the red carpet [LaineyGossip]
- • Dress like Hilary Duff on the cheap [Celebuzz]
- • Le Sigh Joe Manganiello [Socialite Life]
- • Michelle Branch returns [MuuMuse]
- • More new music from Nicole Scherzinger [Idolator]
- • Naomi Campbell congratulates “Malaria” for winning the “Noble” prize [GossipCop]
- • Happy National Coming Out Day [Towleroad]
- • Italia Ricci & Robbie Amell smooch for Bello mag [Oh La La]
- • Whoops! Did James Franco post his penis on Instagram? [Queerty]
- • How well do you know Twin Peaks? [Ranker]
- • Kelley, from Bravo‘s Below Deck, shows off what his mama gave him [Kenneth in the 212]
- • Actually, 35-ish states in the US enjoy marriage equality [Newser]
- • Billboard magazine names Taylor Swift as the Woman of the Year — again [Starpulse]
- • Waka Flocka Flame busted [Global Grind]
- • Michelle Trachtenberg is 29, Trevor Donovan (90210) is 36, MC Lyte is 43, Luke Perry is 48, Sean Patrick Flanery (Dead Poets Society) is 49 and Joan Cusak is 52 years old. Click HERE to see who else is celebrating a birthday today.