Last week we had our first installment of Throwback Thursdays, and it was a total blast. We celebrated the return of Destiny’s Child with some of their biggest hits, and a few days later we got some new Kelly Rowland music. We also recently got new music from Aaliyah, and I was reminded of a post I’d planned to write ages ago when we first started hearing rumors (conflicting and otherwise) about the new Aaliyah project. When we counted down some of Mariah Carey’s greatest hip-hop hits, I asked PITNBR nicole (who is, like, a super-fan to no end) to help me out with a similar post for Aaliyah. Like most fans of her music, I love hearing the previously unreleased songs, and I even liked that track with Drake, but I love, love, love having an excuse to go back and listen to the throwback jams. And when Solange covered that Nicole Wray song earlier this week I said it was def time to re-live and re-lurve the days when Timbaland, Missy Elliot, and Aaliyah ruled the world, so let’s get to it! Click inside to celebrate the very best of the late, great Baby Girl!
1. Seriously? I was in the 6th grade when this dropped and since then I’ve had a ginormous ego problem. Is it just me, or does this song make everyone feel like the baddest bitch in the world? And it also makes me feel like I can totally sing, which is hilarious. No. I liiiive for this song! And I love that everybody and their Mama is in this video– Lil’ Kim, 702, Aaliyah‘s brother. Where the hell was I??? Yeah. Sitting in my 6th grade classroom, singing this song, totally confident in my own, non-existent sexuality. Wait… what? Don’t mind me; the nostalgia’s kickin’ in! I love Throwback Thursdays! And true story/sidenote– this song is so amazing that when I asked PITNBR nicole to give me her top Aaliyah songs she accidentally wrote this one down twice… but it wasn’t an accident. Because once is never enough:
2. Ugh. I can’t stand when people say this ’cause it’s so cliche, but damn! They don’t make music like this no more!!! LOL. No, but they don’t:
3. Nobody talk to me. I’m lit’rally back in middle school, pretending I can actually go over my boyfriend’s house… and that I’m actually allowed to have boyfriends:
4. Lessons learned from this video– 1.) learn to levitate with ginormous headphones on, 2.) friggen learn to do smokey-eye, for the love of all things good and beautiful, 3.) become a snake charmer in the next life, 4.) learn to write lyrics like If you had let me know, I wouldnt’a put on my clothes, and finally 5.) try that multi-lip color thing, like, one time.
5. Okay, this is awkward… but I gotsta keep it real (PITNBR Erica Croce, you probably know where I’m going with this). When this video first dropped, I kinda had to declare war on Aaliyah! She was all up in a video with the man who I was currently dating… in my head. Effing DMX! And they looked so friggen cute together! So I lit’rally refused to watch the video for a wicked long time. And then when I did watch, it I was still hating like cray. To be honest, I’m still a little raw to this day (that she basically stole my man or whatever), but at least I can watch it now without wanting to bring her on Jerry. Wait, yeah no. I’m still angry. I just watched it again and saw her mouth the word Ayo at the beginning. NO. That’s MY line, Aaliyah. Ugh. Okay:
Aaliyah Reigns! And the countdown continues on the next page :)