Some of the best movies ever are about Dads… as in 89% of Martin Scorsese‘s flicks. Here at PITNB we’re celebrating Father’s Day weekend with a look at a few of our favorite Dads (and Dad figures!) from the movies we lurve. They’re not all perfect, but they’re definitely unforgettable. Checkie out after the break.
PITNB‘s Guide To Unforgettable Fathers and Father Figures in Film. Share your pics in the comments and wish your father, or father figure, or friend’s father who was always kinda like a father to you, or husband, or baby’s father a very, Happy Father’s Day!
1. Will & Jaden Smith as Chris and Christopher Gardner kinda killed in the film based on the true story, The Pursuit of Happyness. Even in the midst of his own drama, he gave his son some of the best fatherly advice, ever.
2. In Kramer vs. Kramer Dustin Hoffman showed us how to handle a Mommy-went-away crisis with courage… and french toast.
3. Hugh Grant starred as Father Figure type Will in About A Boy. Once he realized his “units of time” and “all-men-are-islands” mentality were worth giving up for a strange, little boy, Will became the most adorable Father Figure ever.
Youtube would not allow me to embed the Killing Me Softly performance. Tragic.
4. The Royal Tenenbaums. Um, I have no words for Gene Hackman in this. He just… killed! Shout-out to my SLC friend who put me on. Stacy McNeil where are you?
5. In Synechdoche, NY Philip Seymour Hoffman plays Caleb, an artist tortured (often, hilariously so) by many things. But it was both beautiful and tragic to see how he fell apart when he lost his daughter, Olive.
6. In Gangs of New York, Leonardo DiCaprio plays a young man haunted by the legacy of his father (Priest Vallon, played by Liam Neeson) and determined to exact revenge on Bill ‘The Butcher’ Cutting (played by Daniel Day-Lewis) who becomes another father of sorts in the process. Martin Scorsese can do no wrong; this one’s in my top 10 fave films ever.